So, aside from getting recommendations from neighbors, how do you know if you’re hiring a high-quality painting company? So, look no further if you’re wondering how to find a painter. We have many years of experience as professional painting contractors completing residential painting projects, and we are very familiar with our client’s concerns and needs. The residential painting tips below will teach you how to find a good house painter.
6 Tips for Choosing the Best Residential Painting Company
Identifying what to look for in a painting company does not have to be a difficult task. Background checks, getting multiple quotes, asking the right questions, and creating a budget will make the process much easier and ensure you get quality service. Let’s go over the most important tips for hiring a painting contractor.
Make Sure You Know What You Want
Painting a house isn’t something you do every day, so it’s a good idea to consider the scope of your project before you begin. What exactly do you require? Before you start looking for local painters for hire, consider the following details:
- Do you only need the exterior walls painted, or is now the time to repaint the entire house, inside and out?
- When do you want the painting to be completed?
- How many rooms do you need to be painted?
- How will the painting project impact your work or home schedule?
- Does your home require any repairs before painting over a specific surface?
- Is this part of a larger remodeling project or just a quick paint job?
These are the details you should consider before hiring a painting contractor.
Establish Your Budget
When looking to hire a painter, your budget will play a significant role in determining the types of paint used and the overall scope of your painting project. Experienced painters will provide estimates per square meter and can advise you on high-quality, cost-effective materials to use. One of the most important tips for hiring a painting contractor is avoiding the cheapest ones. While this is not always the case, a lower price may be directly proportional to inexperience and poor-quality work and may cost you more in the long run.
Explore Your Options
When hiring a painter, you have more than a few options for where to look. Social media, local newspapers, Google, random signposts, and word of mouth are good ways to find contractors. However, quantity does not always mean quality. You can save time and headaches by narrowing your search and talking to the right people. This includes:
- Your Local Hardware of Paint Store. Hardware stores are where most reputable painting contractors get their supplies. Those with a proven track record have connections with local suppliers.
- Referrals. Word-of-mouth from trusted family, friends, and coworkers is the oldest and one of the best ways to find professional painting contractors. They will give honest feedback and will not recommend a bad company.
- Online. Google searches and online review sites like Yelp and Angi are helpful places for finding potential painting contractors in your area. These websites collect a wide range of reviews from previous customers, and reading about other people’s experiences is almost as good as getting a referral.
- Social Media. Facebook is an excellent resource for finding painters in your area. The integrated review options on the platforms will give you an idea of their service and workmanship. While the quality of a company’s social media presence may not indicate its core values, choose those with positive reviews and a professional-looking listing.
- Do a Walk Around in Your Neighborhood. Another excellent way to hire local painters is to look around. Look for well-painted houses in your neighborhood. If you can find out who did the jobs you want, you’ll be able to hire someone knowing the true quality of their previous work. Even better, as you pass by, find a company at work. However, always double-check their online reviews before hiring.
Contact the Candidates You’ve Chosen and Ask the Right Questions
At this point, it’s critical to ask prospective contractors the same detailed questions about preparation, materials, and the scope of your project. Communicate clearly and don’t make any assumptions about the scope of their services. After gathering the information, you can compare to determine which company is the best fit. Here are some important questions to ask a paint contractor:
- Request a breakdown of the estimate they provide. Most include labor, time frame, materials, and paint cost. In addition, there are indirect costs to consider, such as overheads, utilities, rent, and employee salaries, which will raise the final price.
- Find out if the contractor has full business liability and workers’ compensation insurance. You have the right to know as a consumer and should never hire home painting companies with no active policy. Contact their insurer if you’re unsure if they’re telling the truth.
- Inquire how many people have been assigned to the project. You should be aware of how many people to expect coming into your home during the job. It would be best if you also understood whether they are employees or subcontractors. While subcontractors aren’t always a bad thing, employees have built relationships with the company and are more reliable.
- Ask for a work schedule. If you want to keep track of the project, you should know when the painters will start each day.
- Find out how they will ensure your house stays clean. They need to know what precautions they’ll take and what they are responsible for. What happens if there’s a paint accident?
- Determine whom to contact if there is a problem. You’ll want to have a reliable point of contact in case an issue arises.
Get a Contract and Make Sure to Review It
Most clients frequently inquire about creating a painting contract and what should be included. This is one of the most useful painting contractor hiring tips. A good contract will generally include the following items:
- The name and contact information for the client and the contractor.
- A detailed description of the scope of work, including all services provided and materials used.
- The project’s location and time frame.
- Fee details and payment methods.
- Legal details include cancellation policies, handling disputes, release from liability, and so on.
The more detailed the contract, the less room for interpretation. Contracts protect clients and service providers, so ensure you’ve read them thoroughly and don’t start painting until both parties have signed.
Prepare for Painting
Some professional paint contractors may offer wall preparation as an additional service – something to take into account when considering how to choose a good painter – while others do not. If you do need to prepare your walls, follow these steps:
- Brush the walls to remove dust and dirt. You may not notice it, but a fresh coat of paint will adhere to any dust or dirt on the wall and permanently trap it.
- Use a pressure washer or wire brush to remove flaking paint. Similarly, if there are any more noticeable flaking paint issues, you must remove them before beginning a paint job, as the texture will be visible if it is not removed.
- Repair cracks with exterior filler. If there are any problems with the wall, now is the time to fix them. You won’t have another chance once the painting is finished.
- If possible, remove trellises and creeper plants. If you have any plant life that might get in the way of a paint job, try to remove it as much as possible. This will make the painters’ job much easier.
- Designate a specific area for your painters’ equipment. Making a designated area or space for the painters to store their belongings will make their lives a lot easier, and they will be appreciative. It will also save you much time!
Handyman Of Cypress Are Ready to Take on Your Jersey, Village, Texas Project
Hiring professional painters will save you time and energy because you won’t have to paint your walls yourself. Just be sure to do your research, ask the appropriate questions, and have a contract in place. With our professional painting services, Handyman of Cypress has transformed the appearance of many residential homes. We have a proven track record of producing high-quality work and satisfying customers. Call us at (832) 224-3073 or click here to get a detailed estimate for your residential painting project in Jersey Village, Texas.